Re: Help! Sick H. ionasii

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Thu, 27 Jun 96 18:21 EDT

> From: Glenn Rankin <rankin@SAIPH.HPL.HP.COM>
>
> where it is cool, humid and gets more light. I'm confident that if I
> can stop the fungus, the plant will survive.

Yeah!

> I have had the plant for just about a year. When I got it, it was tiny
> and had only two pitchers. Now it has about 15 or 20 (around 2-3 cm
> tall) with 2 or 3 growing points. So, until recently, it seemed quite
> happy. But now two of the growing points have turned brown and
> shriveled.

This doesn't sound too good... There is a Heliamphora killing fungus
that can be present in water. I don't rememder it's name but it has
desimated a couple collection in the past couple years. This is a
fungicide but it work as a preventive. By the time you see the
damage, it's too late as this comes up from the roots and kills the
rhizome from the bottom up. This is the best reason *not* to grow
Heliamphora in a communal water tray. To tell the truth I'm not
100% that is a fungus causing the problem in the first place because
I've seen Sarracenia die in the exact same way, and is probably an
indication that the plants are not getting enough light to the
rhizome. Then something (this fungus who's name escapes me) can get
at them.

> What should I do?

It sounds like parts of the plant are rotting so this surely will
infect any part that maybe untouched so far. Definitely divide
the plant up and gently wash (you can even use tap water for this
part) the pieces you keep, pot them up in seperate pots.

> There may be a growing point that is still healthy (it's hard to tell,
> because of some larger pitchers covering it). Should I risk division
> and transplant? Are there any effective fungicides that won't kill
> the plant?

I don't know... Benomyl may help a bit when dividing the plant
and repotting but then I haven't found it to really do much when
there is a sick plant involved.

Some times the new growth on my Heli looks kinda dead => very dark
almost black, wrinkly but then it straightens up and regains
normal coloring as it fills out.

Dave Evans