Re: Nepenthes, etc.

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Thu, 27 Jun 96 19:09 EDT

> From: Fernando Rivadavia <ss69615@ECC-XS09.HONGO.ECC.U-TOKYO.AC.JP>
>
> What I observed with my N.khasiana (which was the one that grew
> and flowered best for me in Brazil) was that during the first few
> years of life, they had strong apical dominance on a single branch,
> but once they got older and with a more developed rootstock, each
> plant would have a few robust branches which would all flower at the
> same time. I don't know, maybe this is because I had plenty of space
> at the university greenhouse to let these plants grow while you guys
> have to reduce spaces due to heating costs during your long and cold
> wihters (which my plants never had to endure in Sao Paulo).

It's been my experience that the highlanders like winter more
than summer, so far. Anyway, this is bringing me to another idea
I've had about Nepenthes and some epiphytes. Could these other
main branches (flower bearing stems) be on a "seperate" root stock?
This effect could be caused by that. If there are seperate vascular
systems in a well developed Nep, they would function independent of
one another. So one part would be "unaware" there are flowers on
another part. I'm hoping to test this on a N.alata which is growing
many basil vines.

> Sorry, but again this must be something about your growing
> conditions. I never observed this with my cuttings. This is one reason
> why I really didn't pay much attention to other people's growing tips.
> There are just so many factors involved and often what works for one
> doesn't for another. Especially in my case, since most of the tips I'd
> get or read about in CPN were given by people in temperate countries,
> where the conditions were very different from the ones in my hometown of
> Sao Paulo.

Yeah, I don't put must stock in what others tell about plants
either, until I see it first hand or can use it in a practical
manner. It maybe that the seasonal shift does help this effect
but I think it has more to do with the manner the cutting is taken
and treated while resuming growth, things that some people can
do for the cuttings that many of us can't or don't do. I, for one,
don't remove pitchers when rooting a cutting. Probably the most
important factors would be lighting and the size of the cutting.

> As to grafts changing sex or not, again this would depend on how
> sex is controlled in these plants. Chromossomes or hormones??

It is probably hormonal but it might like in bees where the sex
becomes "set" and while the males die the females remain that way.

Dave Evans