Re: Nepenthes Leaf Coloring

Oliver T Massey CFS (massey@hal.fmhi.usf.edu)
Mon, 1 Jul 1996 10:58:53 -0400 (EDT)

> RSbra123@aol.com wrote:
> > I have a N. Khasiana that did the same thing. I'm sure it was sunburn
> > because it stopped at a line made by the leaf above it. I since gave
> > it more shade. The leaf finally started turning brown and dry along
> > the edge and the trap began to dry up. With more shade, the newer >
> > leaves are doing fine, and the older ones are ok too.
> >
> > Ron Sbragia
>
> Now this is odd. I thought that Nepenthes was a sun-loving plant. The
> way this sounds it really needs quite a bit shade. Any other comments
> from anyone about this particular species? How much light does it like
> (can anybody actually tell me the amount of light, in lumens, needed for
> it?)?
>
> Ken C.

As I do not have a greenhouse my plants are either under lights or exposed to
the Florida sun. My N. khasiana's, grown from seed, have been grown under
lights for probably 15 years(?). As they are doing pretty well (altho slow)
under the typical 4-four footers I have never moved them. For those I grow in
mostly sun, I typically move them out under a bench for a few weeks~months
before they hit the sun. For moving Neps. or even Sarrs. into the sun I would
suggest a few weeks of gradual acclimation. For the Neps. if you don't notice
a resurgence of good healthy growth after a plant has had a chance to
acclimate, you may want to move the plant back under protection. - - Maybe
that's obvious :).

Tom in Fl.