Re: Drosera rotundifolia

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Mon, 01 Jul 96 19:57 EDT

> From: "Craig S. Gardner" <cgardner@ZAPCOM.NET>
>
> Can anyone tell me how large Drosera rotundifolia will get
what I have read says 2-3 inches but in bog igo to > I have
found them 5 & 6 inches ass well as the small ones. The large
one are allways growing floating in the > water they are very
deep red and have no roots. As to the question from Ken Cusson I
have a number of highland > Nepenthes in my green house on a
side shaded by a neighbors tree a couple of monthes ago he did a
major > prunning job on the tree in one day most of my Nepenthes
turned a deep red they were sunburnd all of the red > leaves
have since died off one good thing though my N. tobiaca has
since put out 6 new growing points.

Hi Craig,

Your e-mails are a bit wide... Anyway, six inches sounds too
big but four or five inches I've seen in the wild. And this year
I have four inch plants after improving their drainage. In the
NJ Pine Barrens the largest plants do grow on Sphagnum but only
Sphagnum which is above the water level. D.intermedia likes to
grow at just a little below water level in muck. And D.filiformis
prefers very wet sand with very little peat. Oh, the D.rotundies
might have roots, they could be breaking off as we lift them out
of the Sphagnum but it seem like they don't have any... In
culture, they all do very well in 1:1 peat sand, drained yet wet;
though for the best D.intermedia keep them wetter. The water de-
pends on the level of light: the more light, the wetter the soil
needs to be.

Dave Evans