Mold on sphagnum moss

Gordon Wells (wells@ic.upc.es)
Tue, 2 Jul 1996 9:56:13 UTC+0200

Hi Mike,

On Mon, 1 Jul 1996 8:07:07 -0500 (CDT), MPM7347@ACS.TAMU.EDU wrote:

> I have been trying to grow some sphagnum moss though
> and I did it once and I had some good green growth and then MOLD!!!

It sounds like your sphagnum is getting too hot and humid.
Are you sure your max humidity and temperature readings are
correct ? I had some pots of live sphagnum growing in a small
plastic enclosure out in full sunlight, and their overheating
caused the sphagnum to become slimey and start rotting. As
soon as I took the pots out of the enclosure and just left them
out in the open, the slime disappeared and the moss started
growing normally again. Direct sunlight also seems to promote
sphagnum growth, as I've only been able to get the moss to
grow tall and thick in the corners of my terrarium which get
the most hours of sunlight. The more shady corners hardly have
any sphagnum growth at all.

Regards,

Gordon Wells
Instituto de Cibernetica