Darlingtonia Mystery: The Case of the Dead Hoods

John Phillips (phillips@library.ucsf.edu)
Tue, 23 Jul 96 13:37:51 CST

In Message Tue, 23 Jul 1996 12:23:32 -0700, DGoodr4319@aol.com writes:

> On 7/14 I wrote the digest being sure someone could help me with my
>cobra lilies.
> To this date no one has answered me. The question was and I'll make it short
>some of the heads of my cobra lilies are dying just leaving the stalk to
>grow. Does any one know why this is happening ? I am sorry if I have upset
>anyone but I spent good money for the plant and I would hate to see it die. I
>would like some kind of answer even if it is "we do not know". This way I can
>look some place else for the answer.
> Doug
I think with 460+ of us on the list we often assume someone else will
answer a question. I know I was hoping someone w/ more experience would
answer, but...
If you could provide a few more details such as:
What is telling you the hoods of the pitchers are dying?
What do they look like when this happens?
How large are the pitchers when the hoods die?
What kind of soil media are you using?
How are you watering your plants?
How high is the humidity where your plants are growing?
How intense is the sunlight?
Are you fertilizing or feeding them in any way?
Have you been using a pesticide?
If this condition is not caused by some pest, and you haven't been using
a pesticide or fertilizer, this may be resulting from low humidity or too
much direct sun. If you could describe your growing conditions and the
appearance of the dead pitchers in greater detail, I'm sure someone on the
list will come up with a cause and a solution.
Let us know, and happy growing,
John Phillips Email: phillips@library.ucsf.edu
Information Services
UCSF Health Sciences Library Rm 202