Re: re: bees

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Thu, 25 Jul 96 16:24 EDT

> From: "Phil Semanchuk" <semanchuk~pj@GLAXO.COM>
>
> Does red coloration usually show up in seedlings if it is going to be
> present in the adult plant? I have an S. pupurea seedling that shows no
> signs of red color even though it's parent was a lovely crimson. I'm
> curious.

This is nice! You might have an all-green (or green) seedling.
Try putting it where it will get more light to see if it colors
up. If the new growth does show red after receiving more light
it probably is a green plant. I have a question. Since you
can have plants which show no red on the leaves but still have
red flowers or some red on the new growth what do you call such
plants? I've been labelling mine as (green) and those which can
not produce any red what so ever as (all-green). This doesn't
quite agree with the article in the CPN last year which featured
photos of a (all-green) S.luecophylla. In the article it was labelled
simply as green but I can't think of a better way...

Dave Evans