Re: Early S. flava phyllodia?

Carl Mazur (cherryhillcp@freenet.hamilton.on.ca)
Fri, 26 Jul 1996 23:27:30 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 26 Jul 1996 Whirlabout@aol.com wrote:
> Jay,
> My S. flava 'atropurpurea' are also sending up phyllodia and have been for a
> few weeks. This is my first year with this Sarracenia and I thought that it
> was odd. Typical flava's and copper-top flava's growing in the same bog
> environment (next to each other) are still sending up 'normal' pitchers (as
> are all of my other Sarracenia).

Here in Southern parts of Ontario, Canada, we typically experience our
hottest time of year with long bouts of heat and humidity. Typical highs
anywhere from 26-34C occassionally as high as 38 C or so with relative
humidity of 60-80%. The nites dip down into the high teens 18C to low
20's C. These warm spells last 1 to 2 weeks, then we get a break of cool
dry air, days 24-27C nites 13-17C and low humidity. This is the typical
weather patterns for this time of year. Notice I keep mentioning
typical. Typically all my flavas are starting to produce phyllodia. I
think this is reminiscent of oreophila (if you believe flava is a
decendant of oreophila). This helps cope with the Dog Days of Summer.
This year however, our spring was very cool, and summer has been cool.
Yes we have had temps into the low 30's C, however, it is very
shortlived. Typically this summer has been cool 23-26C and low humidity.
Some days it has struggle to get above 20C for a daytime high. Point you
ask. Well, my flava's are still producing pitchers, not one phyllodia
yet! I really think its weather related.

Carl Mazur