Re: Re: Drosera Villosa Cuttings

Phil (cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)
Mon, 29 Jul 1996 21:44:05 GMT

In your message dated Monday 29, July 1996 you wrote :

> I have a single Drosera Villosa plant, hence the need for cuttings to
propagate it.
> I bought it at the UK CPS meeting at Reading Uni in January (if you ever
have the
> chance to experience Fernando's talk and slide show, it is worth crawling
naked
> over burning coals to get there!). I can't even remember who I bought it
from, so
> I have no idea as to the material's original locality. Fernando, you
actually saw me
> holding the plant a few milliseconds after I bought it, and you commented
on it
> being a nice Drosera Villosa (without reading the label!).
>
> I risked taking two leaves for cuttings - I was pretty close to following
Tom's
> recommendations (thanks Tom), although I didn't leave any stalk on the
leaf - I
> use the term stalk to mean the thinner, glandless part connected to the
centre of the
> plant. Half of each leaf has rotted, at the end away from the stalk.
However I noticed
> yesterday that the unrotten parts have some little bumps coming in the
middle. Tom,
> where do D Villosa cuttings form new plantlets?
>
> The other Drosera cuttings exhibit quite a range. D Intermedia seems to
grow little
> plantlets at the end away from the stalk. With D Linearis they seem to
erupt out of
> the middle of the leaf. With Drosera sp 'Floating, RSA' (Lowrie seed)
the plantlets
> grow at the stalk end. By the way, has the latter been formally named or
identified
> yet?
>
> Good Growing, NigelH

Nigel,

The D. villosa was sold to by Dirk Ventham. I've no idea where he got the
original plant.

Why propagate D. villosa from leaf cuttings? Let the thing flower and you
will be picking out seedlings in the following year like crazy. Not quite
as weedy as D. capensis but close. :-)

--
Phil Wilson
(cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)