RE: Hello and Help!

John Phillips (phillips@library.ucsf.edu)
Thu, 29 Aug 96 16:30:58 CST

In Message Thu, 29 Aug 1996 16:14:29 -0700,
David Sinfield <David@sinfield.demon.co.uk> writes:

>I have a VFT which is looking very sick. New traps form and go black
>almost immediately. I assume that this is because I have been watering
>with tap water. I now know better and have tried flushing the soil
>with rainwater but I'm not sure it is working. Would a drastic
>repotting work? and should I use peat/coir
>+ sand + forest bark?. Or should I start again?
>

>The plant is in a 3 1/2" pot plunged to its neck in peat with a gravel
>laver under it. There is a propogator cover over the plants and it is
>shaded from direct sun. S. purpurea and Drosera Aliciae seem to like
>it anyway.

>David Sinfield
Hi David, I would repot your VFT in 1/3 sand to 2/3 peat (be sure this is
milled SPHAGNUM peat moss!!!) and I would stay away from the gravel layer at
the bottom unless you're 100% sure it's non-alkaline and salt free. Quartz
gravel would be ok. I would give it a larger pot, say 5 inches. And keep it
wet but not soaking wet, especially if it's under a propagating cover.
Carefully trim off any rotting parts when you transplant. A dusting of
powdered fungicide wouldn't hurt, but this is not necessary.
Good luck and good growing,
John Phillips Email: phillips@library.ucsf.edu
Information Services
UCSF Health Sciences Library Rm 202