Re: Nepthes, Dormancy, Sundews

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Fri, 06 Sep 96 22:28 EDT

> From: "Mr. Froese" <gfroese1@MINET.GOV.MB.CA>
>
> CP PASSWORD 840565402

You know, list, I got one of these years ago, a password, but I
don't have any idea what it's for... Anyway I don't think you
should post your password to the list and might want to get a
new one, if it really has a use, that is.

> Hi, I'm new here. I have a number of carnivorous plants and was
> wondering weather any Canadians would be willing to part with one or
> two Nepthes. I was also wondering weather it is okay to grow Venus
> Fly Traps and others CP without having them go dormant.

Depends on whether they are temperate or tropical plants. You
really can't get out of dormancy for most temperates but some
like VFT can be made to grow slowly through the winter Sarracenia
too, but not hardy Drosera which change in buds. It would be like
trying to confince an oak to grow through winter, good luck.

Does anyone
> know the species name of a Sundew that grows about 15 cm tall, spreads
> rapidly with underground runners, is dark green, and has large leaves
> about 3 cm wide and 12 cm long? I had one in a terrarium that grew
> nicely until a year ago when the mother plant died. The leaves would
> just turn brown a little bit at a time. Can anyone help me?

The sizes seem a little off, but I think you are talking about
D.capensis, the Cape Sundew. It is one of the most prolfic Drosera
there is and If you're doing anything right, it'll grow like a weed
and then it will be a weed to your collection. To bad I can't
get them to grow in the lawn. Down in Georgia, we visited with
a woman who had P.lutea and P.caerulea (sp?) growing all over
her lawn! Now I wish I had that problem! Anyway, The 'runners'
are really the thickened roots the plant uses for storage during
it's rest through the hot dry summer in South Africa (is that
still the name for this country? Only the name of the government
changed, right?)

Dave Evans