Re: Dormancy & P. grandiflora

Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)
Fri, 6 Sep 1996 21:36:36 +0100

On 3 Sep 96 at 13:29, John Phillips wrote:

> This will be the first time I've ever taken a temperate Ping through its
> dormancy. Does anyone have any pointers for letting my P. grandiflora go
> dormant in its pot? (Our cool weather starts about October and my balcony
> barely gets to 0C or 32F in the winter.) Or should I follow Slack's method
> of keeping the hibernacula in the refrigerator till next spring.

I'd have thought that the hibernacula would do OK in your outside
conditions, but I can't guarantee it as I've only got experience of
them in England, where we invariably get a fair number of nights below
freezing over the Winter. I feel that the plant will just 'do it's
thing' regardless so long as it isn't *too* warm. It's 'grandiflora',
not '-ia'.

--
Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)