Pinguicula vulgaris temperature

Michael.Chamberland (23274MJC@MSU.EDU)
Thu, 19 Sep 96 08:21 EDT

Seosamh writes:

> If you are growing them outside I would let them become a bit
> drier, and leave them outside. I wouldn't worry a bit about them.
> They'll take any amount of ice. I wouldn't worry either about a
> Catalan winter being too warm - one of my P.vulgaris has been a
> winter bud for at least a month now and we are still getting temps of
> almost 20C. Locally here winter temps stay just above freezing
> most days with night frosts down to -5c in extreme winters.

Pinguicula vulgaris grows in the upper peninsula of Michigan (and even
farther north), so don't worry at all about keeping it too cold!
These plants may experience 6 months of freezing temperature!

I'm surprised to hear this species grows in Morocco! This plant does
not get much farther south than the upper peninsula in Michigan, nor
very far south in New England. I would have guessed the southern range
limit was due to temperature constraints. I know little of Morocco's
climate, but I assume it is quite warm!

Michael Chamberland