Re: Pinguicula vulgaris temperature

Peter Cole (carnivor@bunyip.demon.co.uk)
Fri, 20 Sep 1996 12:33:05 GMT

> From: Seosamh mac Carthaigh <Seosamh.macCarthaigh@UCG.IE>
> > I'm also curious to hear if anyone has any interesting ways of keeping
> > these plants cool during the summer (their average summer daytime temperature
> > should be around 16 C, and 11 C at night).
> <SNIP>
> > My usual summer air temperatures are between 25 and 30 C, but if the soil
> > is cool, the air surrounding the plants will be slightly cooler, but I
> > don't know if it will be enough. Has anyone tried this in similar conditions ?
>
> In Ireland they take alot more than 16C, summer temps here have been
> above the 20C (to 32c!) these last two years and my plants love it
> (I have them in a sun trap in a south facing area). And yes
> evaporation from the soil helps alot. Use a large pot. If they are
> likely to fry/dry out in the 30Cs perhaps mid-day shade might help,
> growing them in a east facing area, etc.

I can second that - mine are in a big bowl of peat in full sun, going
up to daytimes in the 30s in the summer, but they're fine. I dump a
can of water over them each evening (when the sun's gone over or
they'll scorch badly,) to flood the plants when it's hot, but just
tray water when it's not excessive, and I don't shade them at all.
In the winter I just leave them out where they are with no protection.
Our winter nights are typically several degrees below zero, with
occasional -10C nights at some point most years.

Hope this helps.

Happy growing,

Peter

snail:Peter Cole,17 Wimmerfield Cr. :mailto:carnivor@bunyip.demon.co.uk
Killay, SWANSEA SA2 7BU, WALES :http://www.angel.co.uk/flytrap/index.htm
vox:+44 1792 205214 :Tissue Culture Kits for sale