Re: Re: unusual S. purpurea

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Thu, 19 Sep 96 18:13 EDT

> From: Peter Cole <carnivor@BUNYIP.DEMON.CO.UK>
> >
> > I do beleive they are talking about the petioles of the leaves.
> Umm, that would surely beg the question - how can there be internodal
> distances on the petioles?

Ok, Maybe I read the orginal post wrong. I don't know. What I've
seen on some plants in the NJ Pine Barrens, are some really long
petioles on the pitchers. This doesn't seem to be related to
sunlight levels though as even some plants growing in lot of sun
will have them. This is what I thought the orginal writer was talking
about.

> I guess this explains it - neither Mike or I are growing our purps
> in sphagnum, so the medium isn't rising to support the plant. Mine
> are outdoors, so I worry about them snapping in the gales when they
> get wobbly.

How high can they get in a year?

> > All the Sarracenia species DO grow diagonally upward, but you
> > may not see this effect if the plants get moved every couple
> > years or so.
>
> I dimly remember reading the horizontal/vertical bit in SLACK(?),

It would be best to plant them horizontally or slightly diagonal
with the older end of the rhizome down a bit. Not vertically as
I had though when I first started growing them. In every instance,
wild plants I have seen (many hundred) were all growing in a
diagonal, upward direction. With less competetion for light, in
cultivation, the need to grow this way maybe less, but the roots
are most developed in the hind portions of the rhizome so it stands
to reason that is the part that should be lower or overgrown by
moss...

Dave Evans