Public Service Announcement (fwd)

Gary (garko@sfsu.edu)
Mon, 23 Sep 1996 10:50:24 -0700 (PDT)

P.O.
> >Box 933 / Dayton, Ohio 45401-0933. Sending physical mail to confirm
> >your name has been removed is always a good idea.
> >
> >As word of the existence of this database has spread on the net,
> >Lexis-Nexis has been inundated with calls, and has set up a special set
> >of operators to handle the volume. In addition, Andrew Bleh (rhymes
> >with "Play") is a manager responsible for this product, and is the
person
> >to whom complaints about the service could be directed. He can be
> >reached at the above 800 number. Ask for extension 3385. According
> >to Lexis, the manager responsible is Bill Fister at extension 1364.
> >
> >I called this morning and had my name removed. The representative will
> >need your name and social security number to remove you from the list.
> >suggest that we inundate these people with requests to remove our info
> >from the list and forward this e-mail to everyone we know.
> >

> >Varna M. Ramaswamy
> >Vermont Tourism Data Center
> >361 Aiken Center
> >University of Vermont
> >Burlington, VT 05405
> >
> >(802) 656-0623 (W)
> >(802) 388-9744 (H)

Hi Everyone--

I'm sorry to clog the newsgroup with this public service announcement, but
because I find this service absolutely reprehensible, I thought it was
important enough to post. I called the 800 number, and they're no longer
taking phone requests. The options open to you are snail mail, fax and
e-mail. Their e-mail address is: p-trak@prod.lexis-nexis.com. Include
your name, address, phone, SS#. You might want to call the free 800
number to get a rundown of what exactly their service provides to ANYONE
wanting info about YOU. If enough people have their names removed, maybe
we can render their database completely useless--wouldn't THAT be swell!

Gary