Re: Crossing D. capensis with D. binata dichotoma...

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Fri, 04 Oct 96 20:27 EDT

> From: Gary <garko@SFSU.EDU>
> Hello again--

RE: again

> I realize the above would probably produce either non-viable seed or one
> ugly plant--BUT one of my D. capensis and one of my D. binata dichotoma
> have sent up a flower stalk each and are about to bloom for the first time
> this year. It seems a bit late in the year (Fall, for you southern
> hemispherians) for them to BEGIN blooming, doesn't it?

The summer here was so mild, has it confused the plants? A number
a my rhotodendrons (sp?) are flower again too... Anyway, D.capensis
has a chomosome # of 40, D.binata 32. Doesn't make for a very likely
cross. Not saying you shouldn't try. D.bin is not self-fertile so
if you get seed after placing D.cap pollen on the stigma, you'll
have the cross. Going the other way, D.bin on D.cap, you will get
seed of D.capensis since it self very easily. However, if the cross
is possible, some seed maybe the hybrid so mark the flowers you try
for the cross and grow out all the resulting seed. You may get lucky.
Try both directions since some crosses only work one way.

Dave Evans