Re: Cuttings and tissue culture

Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)
Thu, 10 Oct 1996 21:20:09 +0100

On 9 Oct 96 at 12:12, Brandon Schanbacher wrote:

> A cape sundew I purchased from Carolina Biological 4 years ago has
> gotten a rather long (3 inch) stalk on which it has its crown of
> leaves. It has all but stopped growing and I wondered it I could take
> cuttings from the stalk at all?

Probably. Drosera capensis *really is* a very easy plant. Have you tried
repotting it, which might re-enliven it. If you did cut the top off
and attempt to root it (I guess it would need high humidity for a
while to stop it collapsing), then I'd expect the stump to shoot as
well. Leaf cuttings are suppose to work, though I never tried. Does
it flower for you? It usually produces vast amounts of seed which is
very easy to grow - the usual problem is stopping them germinating in
all your other pots.

--
Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)