Re: Academe vs. hobby

Perry Malouf (pmalouf@access.digex.net)
Tue, 29 Oct 1996 11:09:59 -0500 (EST)

Mike Chamberlain wrote:

> The Cactus and Succulent Journal is filled with controversial discussion,
> usually placed in the letters to the editor section. There you'll find
> the hobbyists (splitters) battling against the taxonomists (lumpers); those
> who want field-collected plants allowed in shows vs. those who want them
> disqualified for competition; those who advocate publication of new species
> based on plants which were illegally collected vs. those who do not,
> etc...

Well, it sounds as though the CPN could use a Letters to the Editor
section. While we're at it, let's increase distribution to bi-monthly
(are the editors ready to strangle me yet?). :-)

If the demand is there, CPN could rise from the rank of "newsletter"
to the rank of "journal". ICPS could justify a modest increase
in subscription price, editors could be paid (WHAT!?) and perhaps
retained on staff, etc., etc.

Extrapolation can be fun...

Perry