Re: blossom boosters

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Mon, 02 Dec 96 16:35 EST

> From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@ATSDHA1.EM.CDC.GOV>
>

> I've been toying with the idea of adding superphosphate or ashes to a
> bog garden populated with Sarr and asundry other cp's in hopes of
> boosting flower production. There doesn't seem to be enough material
> to do a burn. Am I toying with disaster?

Hi David,

I have a couple thoughts. Usually there are more, but I'm feeling
very tired today. Anyway, Sarracenia grow in places that get burned
every couple of years. Without it, they become shaded by other more
shrubby plants and can die. The most benefit from fire appears to
be the removal of shade. However, you will get some ashes which
will act as a low strength fertilizer by supplying potash (sp?) or
potassium. I would guess that you could simply burn some wood and
sprinkle the ash over the soil. I wouldn't use a whole lot though.

Dave Evans