Re[2]: Why isn't my sundew sticky ?

BREWER_CHARLES@ecomail.damneck.navy.mil
Fri, 6 Dec 1996 08:28:01 -0500

I will have to support Tom on this one also. I to grow hundreds of
flytraps and I to grow a lot of them under artificial lights. All
plants seem to be very healthy. I also put them out under sunlight
when the weather permits(spring/summer), but during the winter months,
I grow about a dozen or so under lights to give me something to play
with while I'm waiting for spring again.
Charles Brewer
Virginia beach, Va.

_________________________________ Author: "Thomas K. Hayes"
<tkhayes@pennet.net> at smtp

John,

you wrote:

>Are you saying that without at least some direct sunlight that VFT's will
>eventually die?

ABSOLUTELY false - I grow hundreds of vft's indoors without any sun at all.

>While some plants seem to have adapted, I have several that act as if theey
>are bug infested, with malformed and partially formed traps. I have no bugs
>(I have checked and checked, in the soil, under the leaves, sprayed with
>pyrethrums (sp?) etc). The teeth don't want to develope on the top (far)
>end of the trap. The traps end up looking like a small case letter "b" with
>the petiole attaching to the fat part of the "b" and the top of the trap not
>developing. Several have put out smaller and smaller leaves/traps until
>they departed for that big bog in the sky.

This sounds as simple as light deprivation. I keep the standard sized
greenhouse trays covered with the humidity domes and place them
DIRECTLY under the lights. I have just enough room to slide the trays
in and out. You would never know my plants aren't growing in a
greenhouse. They develop wounderful color and grow VERY fast for
vft's.