Re: Amateurs, professionals, and botanical gardens

James Aldridge (jaldr@onramp.net)
Wed, 11 Dec 1996 12:58:00 GMT

On Tue, 10 Dec 1996 17:59:13 -0800, you
wrote:

>There's been much talk on the listserve about a dichotomy between
>professionals (botanists, conservationists) and hobbyists (private
>plant collectors). I think there is an intermediate category--the
>naturalist.

Like most attempts to categorize peoples'
activities, I think it falls short of the
goal. Many people interested in plant science
and conservation issues also keep and
propagate plant species for fun, study, and,
ultimately, conservation, as natural habitat
shrinks.

James Aldridge - Fort Worth, Texas - USA
jaldr@onramp.net OR aldrjame@tenet.edu
http://rampages.onramp.net/~jaldr