Re: Re: Genetic diversity

Carlo A. Balistrieri (cabalist@facstaff.wisc.edu)
Thu, 12 Dec 1996 16:17:25 -0600

At 08:19 AM 12/12/96 -0800, you wrote:

> Sorry, this is certainly not true. The species kept in
>cultivation, while they may preserve the species, are not really going to
>be preserving much diversity. Most of us cultivate plants under fairly
>similar conditions, and are cultivating plants that came from only one or
>a few individuals. There is no way to preserve significant diversity
>unless a large number of plants, preferably from different sites, are
>cultivated and one keeps careful track of each plant, where it came from,
>and who it's parents were. Finally, the diversity represented by all the
>plants of a species grown by everyone around the world cultivating that
>species is probably insignificant relative to the plants growing in a
>different site. Unfortunately, I absolutely do not buy the idea that we
>are generating or selecting for genetic diversity in cultivation. In
>fact, we are doing the opposite as I believe Michael pointed out.
>Wayne Forrester

Thanks Wayne, you saved me some breath. While we can preserve species as
"artifacts" in cultivation, it is unlikely that a genetically diverse
population can be maintained--there simply isn't space to grow the numbers
necessary for most species.

Carlo

Carlo A. Balistrieri, J.D. Email: CABalist@facstaff.wisc.edu
P.O. Box 327
Ashippun, WI 53003-0327
U.S.A.
Voice: 414.569.1902 Telefax: same number, please call ahead.