Re:Drosophyllum

From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Tue Jan 07 1997 - 08:10:05 PST

Date:          Tue, 7 Jan 1997 08:10:05
From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:       Re:Drosophyllum

Dear Alastair,

> I have never seen a Drosophyllum "in the flesh", but from its appearance
> I have always assumed that it was monocotyledonous as opposed to
> being a dicot?? - thus surely it would not bear 'seed leaves' as
> people might expect but have at most, if not emergent directly from
> the seed, a coleoptile?

Sorry to disappoint you but _Drosophyllum_ is a very straightforward
dicot without any trace of coleoptiles or that like. In fact there are
very few if any monocots with reverse circinate vernation, and I
don't think any has abaxial stalked mucilage glands. Also, the flowers
are in standard dicot proportions. So there is really at the most a
very very slight resemblance to monocots in _Drosophyllum_.

Kind regards
Jan