Re: Re: _Nepenthes_ naming

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Tue Jan 07 1997 - 17:52:00 PST

Date:    Tue, 07 Jan 97 20:52 EST
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Re: _Nepenthes_ naming

> > I have done between a female N. rafflesiana (white) with the pollen
> > from N rafflesiana(brunei) x N. rafflesiana (singapore giant). This
> > should produce the species N. rafflesiana. It is highly improbable or
> > impossible that such a cross would take place in nature. Should such
> > crosses (I use the word loosely) be assigned cultivar names to
> > seperate them from naturally occuring variations within the same
> > species?
>
> Yes if you want to give them a name to distinguish them from other
> clones.

   The way I understand it, each seedling that comes up will need
seperate names as cultivars. Is there any way to name the whole
batch of seed under one name? Considering that Meryl could end
up with hundreds of seedlings (and in the end, perhaps a couple
dozen plants and couple "cultivar worthy" plants) for just this
one cross, so many cultivars would be ridiculous.
   Perhaps it is best to just use the location data for most and
name a couple that stand out...
   Any chance to rank the bunch as Sub-Cultivars?

Dave Evans