Re: Re: _Nepenthes_ naming

From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Wed Jan 08 1997 - 08:09:11 PST

Date:          Wed, 8 Jan 1997 08:09:11
From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:       Re: Re: _Nepenthes_ naming

Dear Dave,

> The way I understand it, each seedling that comes up will need
> seperate names as cultivars.

Ideally, yes. But the ICNCP allows for naming of *different* clones
by the same cv. name if they share a common reliably distinguishing
feature.

> Is there any way to name the whole
> batch of seed under one name?

There are several ways. If the plant does not differ sufficiently from
either parent (which is what I would assume in our case), I would
simply call it _Nepenthes rafflesiana_.

> Considering that Meryl could end
> up with hundreds of seedlings (and in the end, perhaps a couple
> dozen plants and couple "cultivar worthy" plants) for just this
> one cross, so many cultivars would be ridiculous.

It depends. But I would doubt that it is possible to score twelve
sufficiently different *and* "cultivar worthy" plants from a single
cross (which is not even interspecific).

> Perhaps it is best to just use the location data for most and
> name a couple that stand out...

This is perhaps the worst choice (if the locality names become
official-ish).

> Any chance to rank the bunch as Sub-Cultivars?

Nope. Cultivars do not constitute taxa in any scienific sense so they
cannot be ranked.

Kind regards
Jan