Re: Heat

From: Russell Elliott (relliott@geocities.com)
Date: Thu Jan 16 1997 - 18:12:37 PST

Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 18:12:37 -0800
From: Russell Elliott <relliott@geocities.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Heat

DGoodr4319@aol.com wrote:

> Postage paid by: [Image]

> Hi All,
> I have a tank in my basement and the temperture down there has hit lows of
> 56 F.
> Well , some of my plants are starting to show the effect of this( traps
> dying ,leaves turning brown.) Does anyone know of a way to warm up the tank
> that is inexpensive?
> I guess I am looking for the temperture to be between 68 & 70 F, but
> anything above 60 F would do. I know the smart thing to do is just bring the
> plants upstairs but
> I do not the room for the tank upstairs and I would lose my light source.
> Besides I am the only one who has an interest in these plants. ( my younger
> two find the VFT interesting but mine are "sleeping" and the other plants
> just sit there as my kids say)
> So the plants have to stay the in the basement. If anyone has an idea or two
> please let me know. Thank-you
> Doug

Doug,

 One way is to place two bricks in the bottom of your aquarium,
and place a mesh tray on them. Place an ordinary aquarium
heater in at least three inches of water in the bottom, and
the temprature and humidity will rise. You can also control
the temprature via the little knob on the heater. I'll try to draw
what I mean:

**************************** lid (to conserve heat)
* *
* * place your plants on the tray.
* *
* * water about three inches deep *
*****-heater water *****brick

Phew! I hope that diagram helps!!

Bye For Now,

Russell Elliott

--

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* ! Russell Elliott ! ! Seed Bank Director, ! ! Australian Carnivorous Plant Society ! ! mailto:relliott@geocities.com ! ! mailto:elliott@nexus.edu.au ! *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*