Re: Re: cold and darlingtonia

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Thu Jan 16 1997 - 17:39:00 PST

Date:    Thu, 16 Jan 97 20:39 EST
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Re: cold and darlingtonia

> From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@ATSDHA1.EM.CDC.GOV>
>
> Ice cubes in Canada sounds like overkill to me. I wonder what chance I have
> growing Darlingtonia in the Southern United States where we have 4 to 5
> months of 80 and 90F weather in summer.

Hi David,

  If you consider that Canada has similar temps for a month (or two?)
due to their very lloonngg days (16-18 hours of sun) and that the
plants just about shut-down at root temps above 70~F., ice is a very
good way to keep them going strong.

> The Holman bog was developed to grow native North American terrestrial
> orchid (cyprepediums) that also have roots that are sensitive to heat. I
> also plan to grow a layer of live sphagnum moss to help cut down on sunlight
> heating the growing media. One thing I haven't decided yet is whether to
> put it in full sun or find some place in the yard that gets afternoon shade.

   Afternoon shade!!!! They don't grow well in full sun, even
in their native habitat. Of course, you can see photos of them
growing in full sun, but the rhizomes are well shaded by grasses,
their own leaves and water. Someone once mentioned how plants
growing in a sunny spot grew to only about six or eight inches
while plants just little further downstream, in deeper shade,
were growing to about three feet tall! Considering your climate,
I'd think you can grow them, but you'll need to include a bottle
of ice (2 or 3 liter) suspended above the Holman bog so the melt
can keep the soil well below 80 degrees. The moss will be helpful too.
Their ideal root temperture range is something like: 40-60~F.
Even though summer was very mild, my plants stopped growing until
just before the end October through to being frozen (current state).
Seeing a new crop of pitchers come up right before Thanksgiving was
a treat. :)

Dave Evans