heat, was Re: cold and darlingtonia

From: Frank Udovicic (F.Udovicic@pican.pi.csiro.au)
Date: Thu Jan 16 1997 - 17:19:29 PST

Date: Fri, 17 Jan 1997 11:19:29 +1000
From: Frank Udovicic <F.Udovicic@pican.pi.csiro.au>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: heat, was Re: cold and darlingtonia

Hi David,

> >Keep the roots _cool_! Especially when it is in a growth spurt. I use
>ice cubes.
> >Rand in Canada
>
>Ice cubes in Canada sounds like overkill to me. I wonder what chance I have
>growing Darlingtonia in the Southern United States where we have 4 to 5
>months of 80 and 90F weather in summer.

After getting advice from this listserver I decided to try growing a cobra
lily in September 1995. I'm in Canberra, Australai. It has grown great:)
Last year I sent a detailed message describing how I grow them and I have
that on a web page if you want to check it out...
http://rubens.its.unimelb.edu.au/~franku/cobra.html.
In summmary, we get a few months of roughly 77F to 86F during summer and
mine are growing fine. I have never used ice cubes, but I water it every
morning with cold water.

>enough, will transfer them to a Holman bog (which is nothing more than a
>deep hole lined with plastic, filled with growing media and water). The
>water level is maintained by placing holes a few inches below the surface.
> The Holman bog was developed to grow native North American terrestrial
>orchid (cyprepediums) that also have roots that are sensitive to heat.

This sounds okay, here is what I do.... I have a large terracotta pot
sitting in a large deep saucer. I water from the top until the cold water
starts overflowing from the saucer. This way I know the roots have had
plenty of cold water running past them and the water left in the saucer is
cold too.

>also plan to grow a layer of live sphagnum moss to help cut down on sunlight
>heating the growing media.

Yes, I do this, it seems to work in combination with the other things, ie
the soil is noticeably cooler than in my neighbouring Sarracenias, in peat
in black plastic pots.

> One thing I haven't decided yet is whether to
>put it in full sun or find some place in the yard that gets afternoon shade.

Mine are in full sun and doing great.

> What are my chances!!!!

Good, if you are vigilant about watering them every day when it is hot.

Good luck,
          Frank.