Re: heat, was Re: cold and darlingtonia

From: Brett Lymn (blymn@awadi.com.au)
Date: Thu Jan 16 1997 - 19:11:21 PST

Date: Fri, 17 Jan 1997 13:41:21 +1030 (CST)
From: blymn@awadi.com.au (Brett Lymn)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: heat, was Re: cold and darlingtonia

According to Frank Udovicic:

>In summmary, we get a few months of roughly 77F to 86F during summer and
>mine are growing fine. I have never used ice cubes, but I water it every
>morning with cold water.

Frank,
        You are lucky that you have the cooler weather - here in
Adelaide on the plains I have not had much luck with cobras. They do
fine for a while but seem to suffer during the summer (can have temps
up to around 45 deg. C). People who live in the hills here seem to do
much better with cobras.

Currently I am trying again with a small cobra but this year,
following a suggestion from the list, I have been freezing rainwater
in a 2 litre plastic bottle and arranging the bottle of frozen water
over the cobra's pot on hot days (say above 33 degrees C). At the
moment the cobra seems to be doing very well with this arrangement, it
gets nice cold water dripped onto it through the day as the ice in the
bottle melts which seems to make the plant happy.

--
  "Upgrading your memory gives you MORE RAM!" - ad in MacWAREHOUSE catalogue.