Catopsis plant

From: Chris Marsden (100620.2156@CompuServe.COM)
Date: Sun Jan 19 1997 - 12:09:09 PST

Date: 19 Jan 97 15:09:09 EST
From: Chris Marsden <100620.2156@CompuServe.COM>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Catopsis plant

Hi All,

My Catopsis plant is now flowering (or in bud), and I wondered if anyone has any
idea what to do with it now.
It's been tied onto a twig in my terrarium for about 6 months now, with it's
roots 'planted' in Live sphagnum (in fact the roots were in mid air: they
wouldn't stay in the sphagnum) and now I've shoved it in a pot in the terrarium
(again in Live sphagnum). The scape is about 3 inches long and there are 5 or 6
individual buds. I have been told the flowers will be white, but can anyone give
me information with regards to pollination procedure (is it single sex - pardon
the entire lack of scientific knowledge here) and what I should do from now on?
It has been in typical highland Nepenthes temperatures and humidity.

Also I wonder if anyone can help me as to its identity (I know it is not a true
CP :-) ). It was sold to me as Tillandsia Catopsis (and I was told it was
carnivorous :-[)) - I took this as a synonym for Catopsis ###. It's a strange
looking plant, not dissimilar but a bit more leggy than the photo in Cheers'
book. I got it from somewhere called 'The tropical rainforest' at an RHS show in
Shrewsbury last year - 3 pounds 50p (about $5).
TIA.

Kind Regards,

Toby