Re: Personal preference?

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Tue Jan 21 1997 - 17:19:00 PST

Date:    Tue, 21 Jan 97 20:19 EST
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Personal preference?

> From: Pavlo2@AOL.COM
>
> I am going to be planting my first CPs soon, and I really want to do this
> right. So, I was wondering... what is the best mix of soil for D.
> rotundifolia and S.leucophylla. Is there any mixes that are best; I think
> everyone has there own opinion on this, but I was just wondering. Also, is
> it still possible to purchase the books 'Carnivorous Plants' and 'The World
> of Carnivorous Plants'? Thanks.

Hi,

   In the wild, S.luecophylla likes very wet peaty soils and full
sun. D.rotundifolia like well drained peaty sand soil and some shade.
They can be grown together in the same pot. Place 100% peatmoss in
the bottom half of the pot (six-eight inches), this will hold a
lot of water and the Sarracenia roots will penetrate down into
it. The top half, 1:1 peatmoss:sand. This will give the Drosera
(and lots temperate Pings, if more shaded than what Drosera like)
a good media and the taller Sarr can then shade it. Use a LARGE pot
for them, something about five gallons will be good for a mature
trumpet Sarracenia (I grow seedlings in four or two inch pots).
I use round pots with basins attached to their bottoms to catch
overfill so the pots are always sitting in water.

Dave Evans