Mushrooms, Viable pops

From: j.m.haddon (j.m.haddon@uclan.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Jan 02 2001 - 12:34:56 PST

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 10:53:27 GMT+0
From: "j.m.haddon" <j.m.haddon@uclan.ac.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Mushrooms, Viable pops

Deat Cindy,
    The mushrooms will not harm your Darlingtonia seedlings although
they do bring around the point of acidity. Mushroooms, as you may
know are the fruiting bodies of the fungus. They live on decaying
matter, this would be dead sphagnum material. Now if your media was
acidic as the average bog you would not get any decay and thus no
fungi. Althought I have found from my short exprience with
Darlingtonia is that they live perfectly well in not so acidic
conditions.

Dear All,
 The question of viable populations came up in the Clods discusion. I
am very interested in this as I find that most of the Pings I come
across in the wild have only a few individuals. This made me think of
aliens, not the ones from x-files, they are introduced into gardens
as just a few plants and sometimes take over whole swards of land. If
a population such as this is thought to be of low diversity how is it
that they can survive and thrive to such and extent? I know that they
have been introduced in to a pest free environment and thus do better
than native Spp. but surely the low genetic diversity would let them
down?

Yours

JoHn