Re: CP identification

From: Mellard, David (dam7@ATSDHA1.EM.CDC.GOV)
Date: Wed Jan 22 1997 - 04:53:00 PST

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 97 07:53:00 EST
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@ATSDHA1.EM.CDC.GOV>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: CP identification

Great big belly laugh about your assuming that I can tell the difference
between a Drosera and a Ping. It certainly doesn't look like D. capillaris
(the only Drosera in my collection), and the color green is definitely the
shade of green I've seen on Pings, hence my assumption that it is a Ping.

Thanks for the response Dave. I'm certain it's not D. adelae since I have
killed many before learning their secrets. And you're right about the
flower. It was closer to purple; I'm just not that good with color shades.
 I guess I need to get the rejects from Barry's Crayola set. It seems odd
that it's a cross because the other cp's on display from this unknown
company (to me) were species: a N. madagascarensis, a D. schizandra (I'm
sure the spelling is wrong here, but think you'll know anyway the one I
mean.) along with the typical VFT and D. capensis.

Again, thanks for the help
David

 ----------
To: Multiple recipients of list

> From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@ATSDHA1.EM.CDC.GOV>
>
> 1. Rosette leaf formation growing close to the surface
> 2. Lime green leaves, clear mucilage, no red anywhere
> 3. 2 inch diameter plant
> 4. Leaves are much longer than they are wide: say, 3:1 or 4:1
> 5. I think it had a pink flower but could be wrong.

Hmm, this sounds like P.agnata * P.gypsicola! The flowers ought
to be purple though. Another possiblity is Drosera adelae, it
does have pink flowers. But I assume you can tell Drosera and
Pinguicula apart.... If it's the Ping, it's probably in the wrong
soil and would like to have vermiculite in there too. This cross
(unless all-green) can get some very nice shading to it in the
right light and four inch long leaves.

Dave Evans