Re: CP identification

From: Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)
Date: Fri Jan 24 1997 - 14:21:33 PST

Date: Fri, 24 Jan 1997 23:21:33 +0100
From: Clarke Brunt <clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: CP identification

On 21 Jan 97 at 15:11, Mellard, David wrote:

> I did some impulse buying at Home Depot over the holidays and can't figure
> out what cp I bought. Can you help? It came in one of those hotel cp
> set-ups: brown base, clear, plastic dome, pure peat media. Here's the
>
> 1. Rosette leaf formation growing close to the surface
> 2. Lime green leaves, clear mucilage, no red anywhere
> 3. 2 inch diameter plant
> 4. Leaves are much longer than they are wide: say, 3:1 or 4:1
> 5. I think it had a pink flower but could be wrong.
>
> My guess is some type of pinguicula but I can't find a picture of it in any
> of my cp books. The leave are much too narrow, at least for the pings I saw
> in the books.

I've just come across Pinguicula primuliflora for the first time in a
local garden centre. Try looking that one up if you can - it
certainly has narrower leaves than some do. It seems to have the
habit of generating plantlets near the tips of the leaves, where they
touch the ground.

--
Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)