Re: Re: CP identification

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Thu Jan 23 1997 - 16:48:00 PST

Date:    Thu, 23 Jan 97 19:48 EST
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Re: CP identification

Hi David,

> From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@ATSDHA1.EM.CDC.GOV>
>
> Great big belly laugh about your assuming that I can tell the difference
> between a Drosera and a Ping. It certainly doesn't look like D. capillaris
> (the only Drosera in my collection), and the color green is definitely the
> shade of green I've seen on Pings, hence my assumption that it is a Ping.

Well, some Drosera do have green traps but they are much larger
than the traps on Pinguicula which, when veiwed from a couple feet,
just give the leaf a sheen. Drosera, on the other hand, have their
traps sticking far off the leaf by several mm and when veiwed from
close by you can still see the individaul traps like drops of morning
dew. Some Drosera, like D.adelae, can be green if the light is on
the weak side (like what you find at stores).

> Thanks for the response Dave. I'm certain it's not D. adelae since I have
> killed many before learning their secrets. And you're right about the
> flower.

Also, a Ping flower will/should have a spur sticking out the back
and this cross ought to have some white parts to the flower (not
one solid shade of purple, anyway).

> It was closer to purple; I'm just not that good with color shades.
> I guess I need to get the rejects from Barry's Crayola set. It seems odd
> that it's a cross because the other cp's on display from this unknown
> company (to me) were species: a N. madagascarensis, a D. schizandra (I'm
> sure the spelling is wrong here, but think you'll know anyway the one I
> mean.) along with the typical VFT and D. capensis.

Ok, the leaves on the cross are strap-like. That's the best way
to describe them. The winter leaves are much thinner and about
one to two inches long and have white hairs not traps. I know
the company you're talking about. At the Philly Flower Con last
year, I purchased a P.agnata * P.gyspicola from their display.
They also had: D.adelae, VFT; a collection containing D.intermedia,
some other Mexican Ping, D.filiformis, D.capensis and dead stuff I
could not ID; and several other plants. I guess the reasoning
behind selling a hybrid is that they are easier to grow, get
much bigger than the parents and asexaully reproduce very easily
(this plant is the D.capensis of Pings). Basically, what CPs
this guy/gal can TC easily and quickly get put on store shelves,
where they slowly die. Don't worry about it though, they all
came from only a couple seed (I hope).

Dave Evans