Genlisea germination: G.aurea and G.uncinata

From: Fernando Rivadavia (ss69615@ecc-xs09.hongo.ecc.u-tokyo.ac.jp)
Date: Wed Jan 22 1997 - 23:58:07 PST

Date: Thu, 23 Jan 1997 16:58:07 +0900 (JST)
From: Fernando Rivadavia <ss69615@ecc-xs09.hongo.ecc.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Genlisea germination: G.aurea and G.uncinata

Ed,

>experiments. After recieving some G. violacea seed from Fernando when he
>visited me, I put them in a petri dish on bibulous paper, added a little
>water of course,and later had a fairly decent amount of seed germinate. I
>transplanted the seedlings and then let the dishes contents dry out.
>Exactly a year later I added some water to the same dish (untouched since I
>took the germinated seeds out) and later had some more seeds germinate.
>Once again a year later, I repeated the same process and to my surprise
>some more seeds germinated. The number of seeds germinating decreased each
>time. What a wonderfull thing! This gives me hope when I hear that a good
>G. site received little water a certain year or completely dried out for a
>season.

        The only problem is hat most G.violacea forms are annual in the
wild and thus are probably adapted to germinating after a dry period. Yet
G.aurea (which was the one I had mentioned about a specific population
which dried out and no plants there the next season) is perennial and it
appears that it doesn't even flower every year in many populations.
Considering also how big it is, I imagine it takes several years to attain
maturity, or at least attain the 5cm rosettes which used to be present at
that specific site. So hopefully there were seeds around to germinate in
that population, or else it'll take even longer for seeds from another
site to find their way there and start again.

        As to G.uncinata, I have just heard a report from someone who
obtained Genlisea seeds from my friend Fabio last year. He says the
G.uncinata seedlings (only 2 or 3) are growing very slowly, while
numerous G.violacea seeds germinated and are growing very fast, and
G.aurea never did germinate. I would like to hear from other people who
have tried germinating Genlisea seeds, specially in regards to G.uncinata
and G.aurea. Has anyone been successful? What about the in-vitro workers?
Any luck with G.uncinata Andreas??

Best Wishes,

Fernando Rivadavia
Tokyo, Japan