cultivation of temperate Pinguicula

From: Oliver Gluch (Oliver.Gluch@t-online.de)
Date: Thu Jan 23 1997 - 10:06:45 PST

Date: Thu, 23 Jan 97 19:06 +0100
From: Oliver.Gluch@t-online.de (Oliver Gluch)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: cultivation of temperate Pinguicula

hello to everybody,

I have some questions about cultivation of temperate Pings:

I was trying to cultivate certain temperate Pinguicula species for about three
years. I cultivate them in pots outside from spring to fall (temperatures min.
5\260C and max. 30\260). In winter I kept the winter buds together with wet sphagnum
moss in an plastic bag in my refrigerator. Temperatures were about 4\260C. The
winter buds stayed dormant during the period in the refrigerator and
produced nice plants in spring again.
This year I bought a new refrigerator, but now temperatures inside are about
6\260C. Now, after the plants got stocked 2 months in the refrigerator, I have
recognised that some of the buds got small non-carnivorous leaves (size about
0,5 cm) at the base of the bud. Does anyone know if these temperatures in the
refrigerator are to high and it will break dormancy ? Or is the production of
these small outer leaves normal? (I especially talk of P. longifolia, P.
grandiflora and P. macroceras).
Outside temperature range here in the northern part of Germany is about 6\260C at
day and 2\260C at night at the moment. Are these conditions better for the buds to
rest dormant?
Would temperatures during night below the freezing point destroy the buds
(Remember that I must keep the plants in pots outside)?

I'm looking forward to your answers.

Oliver

Oliver Gluch
Lindenalle 44