Re: cultivation of temperate Pinguicula

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Thu Jan 23 1997 - 15:33:00 PST

Date:    Thu, 23 Jan 97 18:33 EST
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: cultivation of temperate Pinguicula

> From: Oliver.Gluch@T-ONLINE.DE(Oliver Gluch)
>
> refrigerator are to high and it will break dormancy ? Or is the production of
> these small outer leaves normal? (I especially talk of P. longifolia, P.
> grandiflora and P. macroceras).

Hello Oliver,

    I recently received some P. longifolia from Europe (thanks Nigel).
While in the mail, they started to break domancy. At first I thought
they were doomed. To see if I could save them, I placed the gemmae
in a pot of soil which went in the fridge. In the dark and cold, they
continued to grow. I took them out and of the three, two appear to
have started their normal growth while the third (which was the
smallest and didn't look to have ended dormancy) might be dying :(
My advice would be to remove any Pings which have their centers
openning up and plant them. Otherwise, they will eliolate and
probably die. Of couse, if they have not started growing, taking
them out early seems to kill them too.

   I think the outer leaf scales loosen up some before the buds
actually start to grow so your plants may be starting sooner
than what you want. Just check them now and then to see if they
continue to grow (some might, if not all). I would not start
freezing them at this point (if they have loosened up for
spring, it would not be good).

> Would temperatures during night below the freezing point destroy the buds
> (Remember that I must keep the plants in pots outside)?

  Not normally, if they are truely at rest, they can take the lowest
temps of all CPs! Perhaps they can be more easily stored in a freezer?

Dave Evans