Drosopyllum experiences

From: Andrew Marshall (andrewm@eskimo.com)
Date: Thu Jan 23 1997 - 12:53:59 PST

Date: Thu, 23 Jan 1997 12:53:59 -0800 (PST)
From: Andrew Marshall <andrewm@eskimo.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Drosopyllum experiences

Hello all,
        Things here in Seattle were not so lucky for me at least. We lost
power for a total of 4 nights and 5 days with temps getting down, in the
greenhouse to 40'f. I am guessing it was lower around the edges as that
has been where the damage was. Outside temps were well below freezing,
with 2' of snow and ice on the ground.
         My Drosophllum was in the SE corner, furthest away from the
lantern that I was forced by unfortunate circumstances to use as a heater.
It was about 2 yrs old, rather large with many leaves and two main stems.
It wilted as I have seen others do in cold snaps but there was a
difference. With nothing to warm the greenhouse up for four days, the sky
being overcast so not even solar energy was available, it did not recover.
I didn't think to move it as there was really no place to move it to and I
had never lost one to this sort of thing before. I have had them go
through worse, though for much less time. By the time it did warm up
again, at least in the greenhouse, it was to late. My Drosophyllum is
dead. I think if it had been able to warm up in the mornings, perhaps
like Glenns it would have rebounded but I do not think it liked sustained
cold. Many of my Heliamphora are also now dying as well. I have learned
the hard way that one needs not only a back up heat source, but a back up
for that as well. I am still waiting for the parts I need for the back up
heater. Hopefully the next cold snap will not bring the power down again.
So much for my luck this year. Any one out there got any spare
Drosophyllum seed please?
        Thanks and good growing
        Andrew
ps. Interestingly, I only lost one N. ampullaria cutting and one N.
rafflesiana cutting. Lowland N. are amazingly forgiving. The highlanders
didn't even blink so far in all this.