Allan Lowries seed

From: Andrew Marshall (andrewm@eskimo.com)
Date: Fri Jan 24 1997 - 14:11:03 PST

Date: Fri, 24 Jan 1997 14:11:03 -0800 (PST)
From: Andrew Marshall <andrewm@eskimo.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Allan Lowries seed

Hello folks,
        Just to say that I have had reasonably good luck with his
Nepenthes seed and some of his tuberous Drosera seed. The D. may have
taken two years to go but it did. I just wish I was better at growing
them as they would still be alive today.
        While I have never ordered Sarracenia or temperate Drosera seed
from him, I am certain that at least some of it is fresh, as with the vft
seed. I routinely send to him large quantities of the freshest seed of
all sorts of S., D., and vft. I take great pains to clean out the chaff,
and package it so that it ships well with hopefully no damage. I have not
had any complaints from him on recieving the seed so I assume that my
methods are successful. I can not account for your bad luck with these,
but perhaps it is something you are doing. Don't get me wrong, I am not
offended by the postings I am reading, but am a bit mystified that if I
send large quantities of good, fresh seed. Seed that I test incidentally
for viability, why you should have complaints about these species. I can
guess that I am probably not the only one sending him seed but still,
there should be some success stories. Whats the deal?
        BTW. I have recently sent him a large shipment so if you want
fresh S., D., and vft seed, now is the time to get it I would think.
Also, this is not menat to incite a flame war or any thing. I to have not
always had good luck with his seed, but it has been the byblis and
utricularia seed that has given me fits, and I figure it is because I do
not know exactly what the seed wants, not that the seed is bad. I could
be wrong but I prefer to err on the side of my own inexperience (even
though I have been growing for at least 10 or more years) rather then
blame Allan. My luck with seedbank seed has also been about the same as
with Allans seed just for comparison.
        One thing we could all do is to insure that we only send the
freshest seed, cleaned and packed in something more then paper envelopes.
A bit of styrofoam, bubble wrap, or perhaps a flim container if a small
box goes a long way to protecting the seed. I read a few years ago that
some one had microscopically examined orchid seed that had been sent
through the mail in the standard envelope fashion. They reported apalling
dammage from the rollers that the envelopes get forced through. Most of
the seed was crushed. Now many of you may not have seen the tiny dust
like particles that are orchid seed but figure this, if they can be
destrioyed, what chance does the much larger seed that we get have? It
doesn't need to be crushed to powder, just cracked to lose its viability.
If we all sent in the best seed, and I am sure that we do, packaged
properly, then we can eliminate every one but the seller/seed bank, whose
responsability it is to store it properly. This is also vital and is
often the cause of low viability. I do not know how Allan or the seed
banks store the seed. Tom, perhaps you could send us a message with your
methods. We might learn something. After all, often we have to store the
seed ourselves for a few weeks until we get enough to ship all at once.
Might we be doing it badly?
        Anyway, enough! I will step down from the soap box and see what
you all have to say. This is not menat to be accusitory, just thought
provoking. Save the flames for another party please.
        Good growing, stay warm
        Andrew
ps. actually you are welcome to send all the flames you want. It is
supposed to snow here again and I could use the warming up. It would save
on the heating bill. ;-)