Re: Allan Lowries seed

From: Peter Cole (carnivor@flytrap.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sat Jan 25 1997 - 15:36:21 PST

Date: Sat, 25 Jan 1997 23:36:21 GMT
From: Peter Cole <carnivor@flytrap.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Allan Lowries seed

> From: Andrew Marshall <andrewm@eskimo.com>
> One thing we could all do is to insure that we only send the
> freshest seed, cleaned and packed in something more then paper envelopes.
> A bit of styrofoam, bubble wrap, or perhaps a flim container if a small
> box goes a long way to protecting the seed. I read a few years ago that
> some one had microscopically examined orchid seed that had been sent
> through the mail in the standard envelope fashion. They reported apalling
> dammage from the rollers that the envelopes get forced through. Most of

       This seems to be a particular problem in the US, but should certainly
       be considered anywhere - a piece of bubble wrap or a couple of
       thicknesses of kitchen roll wrapped around seeds will prevent this
       damage - and it doesn't add much/anything to the postage.

> the seed was crushed. Now many of you may not have seen the tiny dust
> like particles that are orchid seed but figure this, if they can be
> destrioyed, what chance does the much larger seed that we get have? It
> doesn't need to be crushed to powder, just cracked to lose its viability.
> If we all sent in the best seed, and I am sure that we do, packaged
> properly, then we can eliminate every one but the seller/seed bank, whose
> responsability it is to store it properly. This is also vital and is
> often the cause of low viability. I do not know how Allan or the seed

       In fairness to Allen, much of the seed he stocks is gathered from
       wild plants, and this therefore has not been selectively bred for
       ease of cultivation/germination like many of the plants we fill our
       greenhouses with. Also with so much seed collected for him by other
       people around the world, he has no way of knowing for sure how well
       (or otherwise,) the seed has been treated before he gets it.
       From my own experience of Allen's seed (confined mostly to S.American
       and S.African Drosera and Roridula,) germination rates have been
       better than seems to be the average reported. Probably 2/3-3/4 of
       all packets sown over the last couple of years (several dozen,) have
       produced plants, varying from 2 or 3 plants to near 100% germination.
       But friends (unarguably competent growers,) trying his Sarracenia,
       Cephalotus, Utricularia etc. report very much worse results, and I
       guess there really isn't a lot of excuse for consistently poor
       germination from as well understood a genus as Sarracenia - it ought
       to be easy enough unless it's been severely mistreated.

       I discovered a couple of bags of Allen's Sarra seed in the fridge
       the other day - stratifying in ziplock bags of wet moss since March
       and I'd forgotten all about them since I moved to the new fridge.
       I'll sow them and see what happens - I'll report back to the list
       on any progress, or lack of, when anything (or nothing,) happens.
       The spp. in question are S.purp.purp 'Switzerland Giant', S.oreophila
       'somewhere or other' and an alata or flava of some sort.
       I think 10 months stratifying should do it if anything will!

> banks store the seed. Tom, perhaps you could send us a message with your
> methods. We might learn something. After all, often we have to store the
> seed ourselves for a few weeks until we get enough to ship all at once.

       Well, I store a considerable amount of seed, and here's how I do it.
       The seed is cleaned, enveloped and labelled, then packed into plastic
       food containers (tupperware-type lunchbox thingies,) with Silica gel
       (dessicant,) and put in the fridge at a constant 4'C. It's got to
       the point where I've now got my own 'seed fridge' - the missus was
       getting annoyed with seeds and assorted TC chemicals invading the
       salad drawer and lurking behind the milk :-)
       This combination of mimimal humidity and low temperatures ensures
       best retention of viability for a long time. In addition, I don't
       keep seed very long - if I haven't sold/traded it within 12 months,
       I sow it (what the hell - I've got to get my plant stock from
       somewhere!) This is probably overkill, as the storage conditions
       should ensure viability for several/many years for most spp., but
       there's usually fresh seed to be had from my plants or friends', so
       not many spp. disappear from my list for good.

> Might we be doing it badly?
> Anyway, enough! I will step down from the soap box and see what
> you all have to say. This is not menat to be accusitory, just thought
> provoking. Save the flames for another party please.
> Good growing, stay warm
> Andrew
> ps. actually you are welcome to send all the flames you want. It is
> supposed to snow here again and I could use the warming up. It would save
> on the heating bill. ;-)

       Indeed, feel free to aim some warmth my way - the paraffin bills
       are killing me! :-)

           Happy growing,

                       Peter

snail:Peter Cole,17 Wimmerfield Cr. :: mailto:carnivor@flytrap.demon.co.uk
    Killay, SWANSEA SA27BU,WALES,UK :: http://www.flytrap.demon.co.uk/
  vox:+44 1792 205214 :: Carnivorous plants & seeds for sale