Re: Terrarium sized CP's

From: Demetrio Lamzaki (Dee_Lamzaki@msn.com)
Date: Tue Jan 28 1997 - 17:49:57 PST

Date: Wed, 29 Jan 97 01:49:57 UT
From: "Demetrio Lamzaki" <Dee_Lamzaki@msn.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Terrarium sized CP's

>I would like any suggestions as to which Sarracenia, Nepenthes,
>and Heliamphora species would be good choices for terrariums
>that have 10" growing space above the spagnum level.

Hi Brian,

Here's a couple of suggestions, regarding Sarracenia try psittacina or
purpurea venosa. Both tend to form spreading horizontal rosettes rather
than tall pitchers (some older venosas become pretty big clumps with
increasingly higher pitcher rosettes but that will take a while). One of the
smaller members of the rubra complex could work too but that's pushing it.

In general I grow all Sarracenia outdoors, the coloring on the plants is so
much better using natural sunlight whether outdoors or in a greenhouse,
plants that were solid green indoors under lights have turned the deepest
red and purple since I brought them outside, plus their natural food intake
is huge and makes for thriving and vigorous plants without you having to
feed them at all (watching them catch prey is an adventure all its own).
Of course, depending on the climate where you live or the lack of a growing
area this might not be an option. If you do use a terrarium give them as
much light as possible but beware of direct sunlight without ventilation,
you could cook them.

If you're interested in Heliamphora, H. minor is the best choice for
such a height, it averages 3-inch tall pitchers (yes the name is
very appropriate :-)

Nepenthes-wise I strongly recommend ampullaria, it has unique
looking pitchers, thrives in small terrariums, and is very hardy so
long as the temperature never goes too low, depending on where
you live you might need to provide a heat source. Good luck with
your terrarium.

Regards,

Demetrios