Re: rooting nepenthes

From: Perry Malouf (pmalouf@access.digex.net)
Date: Wed Feb 12 1997 - 05:01:22 PST

Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 08:01:22 -0500 (EST)
From: Perry Malouf <pmalouf@access.digex.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: rooting nepenthes

Concerning the rooting of Nepenthes cuttings, Dave Evans
wrote:

> usually Sphagnum moss is great for rooting them, though not
> good for cultivation of established plants...

Dave, I've always used sphagnum mixed with a generous amount
of perlite to grow Nepenthes. The plants do very well in
this mix.

Sure there are other potting mixes that people use, but I
don't think it's accurate to say that sphagnum moss is not
good for cultivation of established plants. Perhaps you
meant straight sphagnum, without anything mixed in?

> ...I never cut off the pitchers and keep filled them with water.
> ...It is much *better* to leave the pitchers on it, if you can.

This is interesting. What purpose does it serve to leave the
pitchers on the cutting? As a reservoir of water? When you
do this, do you have to keep refilling the pitchers because
the cutting slurps up the water?

> I wish people would stop suggesting cutting off large
> sections of the leaves...

Well, there's a reason for this. The idea is to reduce
transpiration. A cutting has no root system and so cannot
absorb water at a fast rate from the potting medium. But the
leaves will continue to transpire moisture into the air as much
as possible. There is no balance between loss of moisture
through the leaves and the uptake of water into the cutting,
since the water absorption is severely curtailed for a cutting.
If you reduce the leaf area, you cut down on water losses.

Also, keeping the cuttings in very high humidity helps to
prevent their drying out.

Regards,

Perry Malouf