extremely fast sarra germination!

From: Mellard, David (dam7@ATSDHA1.EM.CDC.GOV)
Date: Fri Feb 14 1997 - 11:25:00 PST

Date: Fri, 14 Feb 97 14:25:00 EST
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@ATSDHA1.EM.CDC.GOV>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: extremely fast sarra germination!

Russell Elliott said:

>I remember a week or two ago someone emailed the list and
>said that they had some Sarra seed that had been stratifying
>in the refrigerator for ten months, and was wondering if they
>would germinate or not. Well, about nine days ago I planted
>some S.flava, S.minor and S.psittacina. The flavas and the pssits
>have already germinated! Reason why: they have just spent 12 months
>in chopped moist spaghnum in plastic press seal bags in the fridge
>I sowed them on long fibre spaghnum moss, and just spread the contents of
>the little bags, seed and all on the surface. This is the fastest
>germination I have ever seen!

> Has anyone else had seed germinate so quickly?

Hi Russ,

I store my seed the same way (in glass vials with live sphagnum and extra
rainwater to make a very moist environment). On Jan 4, I sowed
seeds of S. flava, psittacina, leucophylla, and minor on 1:1 milled sphagnum
and sand. The seeds had been stratifying since fall of 1996. They
started sprouting about a week ago. While I didn't calculate the percent
germination, I'm very pleased with the number of seedlings I'm getting. I
wonder what effect placing them on sphagnum to sprout will have on
germination time versus degree of stratification?

David