Science Fair Update

From: Andrew Joe Cumbee (acumbee@surfsouth.com)
Date: Fri Feb 14 1997 - 17:28:10 PST

Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 20:28:10 -0500
From: Andrew Joe Cumbee <acumbee@surfsouth.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Science Fair Update

I would like to thank the many people that gave me encouragement and
addresses of businesses that handle tissue cultures materials. I really
would like to thank the following people for helping me get a First
Place Ribbon for the sixth grade at the Ben County Middle School Science
Fair. My Project Title is "What effects does PPM(plant Preservative
Material from Plant Cell Technology) have on Carnivorous Plant Tissue
culture Media".

For their help and advice.
       DR.Jeff Welch
       Dr. John Finer
       Dr. Carol Stiff
       Martin Kalin

For the use of their procedures in tissue cultures.
       Mr. Peter Cole
       Mr. Rick Walker
       The University of New England in Australia

My project was going to be about using different media on carnivorous
plant tissue culture, but I never could get sterile enough conditions so
that bacteria would not grow. my homemade hood just did not work for
me. any way my project ended up comparing carnivorous plant tissue
culture medium containing PPM and medium without PPM. it is still
pretty early for end results but, all the cultures without PPM became
contaminated, and all my cultures with PPM remain contamination. I will
be glad to share my experimentation if you would like for me to.
I am going to keep experimenting because I qualified to go to the
district science fair next month.
I am still looking for a place to buy some media to use with nepenthes
seeds that my dad has. I also have some birthday money and I would like
to know what would be the best tissue culture book to buy. One that I
can read and not have to lookup the meaning of a lot of big words.
Thank you again .

Eric Cumbee
also I would like to hear from you again.