Re: Drosera planting times

From: Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sat Feb 15 1997 - 09:43:12 PST

Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 18:43:12 +0100
From: Clarke Brunt <clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Drosera planting times

On 13 Feb 97 at 0:43, Christopher Walkden wrote:

> I have just purchased some Drosera seeds, and was wondering when to plant
> them. I have a book that tells me to plant non tuberous species in early
> spring, but doesn't say when to plant tuberous ones. The one tuberous type
> that I have is erythrorhiza...

I see some others have already had their say, but anyway:

I usually sow any CP seed just as soon as I receive it, which tends
to be Spring, because that's when my thoughts turn to ordering seed.
The natural place for a seed is in the ground, not being stored in a
packet. OK - perhaps for some species which undergo a dry dormancy,
the ground might be as dry as a packet anyway, but I think that
storage will generally achieve nothing except lower germination.

Whenever I've sown tuberous species, they have usually taken quite a
while to germinate (weeks to months). I kept them moist during Summer
while waiting for them to germinate. Seed collected fresh from my own
Drosera peltata (and Darlingtonia californica too) germinate quickly
sown as soon as they are ready to fall from the plant.

--
Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)
http://www.brunt.demon.co.uk/ Seeds, Cacti in Mexico, etc.