Re: HELP! (advanced Drosera cultivation)

From: Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sat Feb 15 1997 - 09:51:11 PST

Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 18:51:11 +0100
From: Clarke Brunt <clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: HELP! (advanced Drosera cultivation)

On 11 Feb 97 at 8:53, L235@aol.com wrote:

> Just received seeds of several species of S. African sundews
> (thank you, Eric) and I realized I'm WAY over my head.
> To that end, does anyone have specific gross descriptions
> (i.e. what do the beasts look like?) on the following:
>
> Drosera alba
> (this isn't just a sneaky way of hiding D. capensis "alba"
> seeds in and among perfectly good (otherwise) sundews, is it?)
>
> Drosera trinervia
>
> and cultivation (particularly germination) information on the above, plus:
>
> Drosera cistiflora

Hey - I got those too from the generous Eric (in return for some of
my Darlingtonia). I already have D. trinervia - just treat as other
rosette evergreen sundews - easy. As for cistiflora (and alba, which
I didn't know, but someone else says is like cistiflora), sow, wait,
hope...

I first germinated some cistiflora some years ago - took a few
months. After their first (Summer) dormancy, I couldn't find anything
living in the pot, but I put the soil back in and watered it, and up
they came again! No tubers as such, just slightly thickened roots (or
are they underground stems?) as far as I can see.

--
Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)
http://www.brunt.demon.co.uk/ Seeds, Cacti in Mexico, etc.