Re: Algae on spaghnum

From: Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sat Feb 15 1997 - 09:23:13 PST

Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 18:23:13 +0100
From: Clarke Brunt <clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Algae on spaghnum

On 11 Feb 97 at 2:00, Russell Elliott wrote:

> I have just noticed algae growing on the surface of some of
> my pots with sarracenia seed just starting to germinate. The
> medium is chopped dead spaghnum, and I was wondering if it would
> be safe to spray with Mancozeb (a fungicide) at this early stage.
> It states on the packet thatt it kills algae.
>
> I hope it doesn't do the same to just germinating sarras!
> ! Russell Elliott, Seed Bank Director, !
> ! Australian Carnivorous Plant Society. !

Sounds from the latter that you might be an experienced seed-raiser?
Personally, I doubt that algae, moss, and other 'green slime' which
eventually establish in all my CP pots, is any harm to Sarracenia
seedlings. I'd be a bit worried about a product which killed algae -
sounds a bit close to being a plant.

--
Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)
http://www.brunt.demon.co.uk/ Seeds, Cacti in Mexico, etc.