Re: Drosophyllum bud

From: burkhard@aries.scs.uiuc.edu
Date: Mon Feb 17 1997 - 14:48:40 PST

Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 16:48:40 -0600 (CST)
From: burkhard@aries.scs.uiuc.edu
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Drosophyllum bud

Rand wrote:

> Hello CP'ers:
>
> I have a Drosophyllum seedling that is 4 cm in height and has five leaves.
> It germinated in the fall and, because of our short, somewhat gloomy,
> winter days in Maritime Canada, the plant is rather etiolated. The plant
> has a small, but distinct flower bud growing out of the base of the fifth
> leaf, with the start of another leaf at the base of the bud.

Hi Rand. I also have a fall germinated Drosophyllum with a yellow bud,
however it is now turning black. My plant is also very spindly like yours,
in fact its first stem (also with a yellow bud) got too top heavy and
began leaning over, afterwhich a new stem grew at the leaf axial. The
plant is now about 20 cm in height and is tied to a support since there
are no leaves at the bottom 3 or 4 cm of stem. The base of the stem is
also very pale in color and is thinner. I then decided to bury about a
centimeter of the stem to add more support. I am currently pondering
burying some more since no leaf growth is appearing at the base and the
absence of green suggests to me that it probably will not grow any more
leaves.

So far, no ill effects have occurred due to my burying of the stem and the
supposed flower bud never flowered or developed any further, as was the
same with the first yellow bud anomaly. Any advice or further input would
be appreciated.

Paul Burkhardt